My birthday is fast approaching. I’m not sure how I feel about this birthday. Older? Yes. Not exactly where I thought I’d be in life? Yes. Not sure where to go from here? Yes. But some of that I would feel regardless of the number I was turning. And that is all it is, right? Just a number. If you were facing a birthday you weren’t sure you were ready to face, how would you handle it? How am I handling it? I’m going to Disney World! What a shock, I know! 🙂
I’ve decided to forgo the birthday list of “things” to accomplish for this year. Will I pick it up again another year? Maybe. We’ll see what life throws at me. When I thought of making a list this year, it brought up feelings of dread mostly. It had gone from being fun to being more of a chore. It is supposed to be a fun exercise and since its no longer fun (at the moment), its not being done.
That being said, I’m really happy to have accomplished #23 from my 34 Things list to participate in a race event each month this past Sunday. Especially as it spanned a period of several months where I was limited to walking due to my lingering knee injury.
And partly because I’m suffering from writer’s block but mostly because I like looking back, here are the race reports from my chosen race “event” each month!
- May 2011: Top Pot 5K – I was in between physical therapists and so there was some running involved. Oops!
- June 2011: Bridle Trails 10K – first official walking only race
- July 2011: See Jane Run (Walk) 5K – walking for champagne and chocolate! But sadly no medals were left for me.
- August 2011: Seattle Danskin Triathlon – where my bike & I broke up (and I still haven’t touched it since then)
- September 2011: You Go Girl Half Marathon – my test half marathon to see if I could finish walking in under the Disney time limit of 3 hours and 30 minutes
- October 2011: Project Athena 10K – the race where I was simultaneous #1 and last (but managed to pull myself out of last)
- November 2011: Seattle Marathon 5K – my last walking only race
- December 2011: 12Ks of Christmas – my triumphant return to the running world
- January 2012: Tinker Bell Half Marathon – tutus and pixie dust
- February 2012: Princess Half Marathon – Coast to Coast baby!!
- March 2012: Shamrock 5K – wearing of the green, and running with a dog
- April 2012: Seahawks 12K – Hello wind!
And there you have it! Twelve races in twelve months! And by the numbers, 1 sprint triathlon, 2 10Ks, 2 12Ks, 3 half marathons, and 4 5ks! And while I am not officially doing a 35 Things list, I am going to try to continue to do at least one race per month. I’m guessing a month or two of not having a list to cross things off of I will be wishing I had done it again this year. Ha!