Nike Women’s Half DC 2013: Part III

After making it through Part I and Part II, your reward is Part III where I actually run the race!!

I was up fairly early Sunday morning and finally stumbled out of the hotel and towards the metro, where I spied a number of other women in race attire which was very calming as I knew I was in the right place!

I bought my metro ticket, however when I tried to input it into the slot, it wouldn’t take.  I tried all machines and finally went to the booth where she looked at my ticket and then let me in.  Of course the same thing happened when I tried to exit, except no one was at the booth.  A couple of minutes passed and I was about to break down in tears when an attendant walked by and I all but jumped on him trying to explain.  He waved me through.  Crisis averted.

I stopped at the long line of port-o-potties, handed my bag in at bag check, and made my way to the corrals.  My corral was full but somehow I managed to squeeze in.

I took a look around and realized I was really here.  At the start line. The familiar nerves started fluttering.  As I gazed towards the start line, I saw the Capital Building in the distance.

Start Line, looking towards the Capital

Start Line, looking towards the Capital

And we were off!  I had expected a minute or two between each corral, but no, they let us all go at the same time.  I think staggering the start may have helped with the crowding that happened for the first few miles.

We ran towards the Capital before turning and going through a tunnel where predictably my Garmin got all jumbled up.  I do have to say, I loved running through the tunnel as there were two drum bands set up (one at the beginning of the tunnel and one at the end).  The energy was amazing!

I ended up running the entire first mile (which is something I haven’t done since that one time I fell off a cliff and hurt my knee – and no, it still hasn’t gotten old to say I fell off a cliff!).

Past the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Monument, over the bridge and back we went.

Lincoln Memorial

Lincoln Memorial

The temperature was definitely starting to creep up, but there was a lovely breeze!! We continued along the water and around a golf course.  I had been doing great up until around Mile 8 or so, when my familiar hip/ITB pain made its presence known.  The adrenaline and other people on the course kept the pain at bay.

I do have to say the spectators along the course were amazing!!  I don’t know how many high fives were offered to me.  I’ve said it before but I really appreciated the energy at this race.

Back through the tunnel and towards the Capital before circling back towards the finish line.

I’m not sure where I was when I realized I was close to a PR.  Then I stopped for a picture in front of the Capital, which was so worth it!

So close to the end!

So close to the end!

The finish line was calling me in.  I took my last walk interval and put on the afterburners (well as much as I could).

Done!  I crossed the finish line onto the red carpet.  I ended up being a minute off of my PR.  So close…but still such a fabulous race!

Red Carpet

Red Carpet

I got my Tiffany’s box!!  Love!!  Which was given to me by an ROTC in a tuxedo!

Love my necklace!!

Love my necklace!!

I navigated my way through the finish line area towards the finisher’s boutique.  The line was ridiculously long.  Since the theme for the weekend had become not waiting in lines, I thought twice but then got in line, which did not move for the longest time.  I finally was able to catch a staff member and ask about sizes and was told once again that the largest they had was a large.  I thought for a minute or two and as I was starting to feel ill, I got out of line.

They did have a stretching area which was fantastic – they had a bunch of yoga mats laid out and an instructor leading us through a variety of stretches.

My biggest complaint about this race was that there were no photographers.  Seriously, no photographers.  I am one of those who generally will buy at least one of the professional pictures.

With the race done, I went back to the hotel to start the day over again!

My plan was museums, but as soon as I stepped out of the metro I saw the Capital Building and decided I needed a real photo, not just a race photo.

It started sprinkling and I quickly took my pictures.

At the Capital

At the Capital

All of this took longer than I had thought and I realized I probably only had time for one museum.  American History Museum or Natural History Museum?  I came to the Natural History Museum first and the rain was coming down heavier so Natural History Museum it was.

Natural History Museum

Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum had the Hope Diamond and mummies!!  Score!  I wandered around.  I really liked the “Written in Bone” exhibit – a CSI take on early colonial settlements.

Hope Diamond

Hope Diamond

Guess what I had for dinner?  Pizza!  Once again in my hotel room as I started packing.

Mmm, pizza

Mmm, pizza

And after dinner?  Oh yes!  I finally had my Baked+Wired cupcake.  Oh my.  It was delicious!!

Flapjack Cupcake

Flapjack Cupcake

And on that note, my quick trip to DC was at an end.  Until next time!

This entry was posted in Race Report, Race the States and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Nike Women’s Half DC 2013: Part III

  1. Solid decision on Baked and Wired! I was just there last weekend for a birthday cupcake =).

    Congrats on an awesome race!! I did a race about a month ago that had a foam rolling station at the end – it was brilliant. I think all races should have yoga mats and foam rollers at the end.

    • Emily says:

      Baked & Wired was delicious!! That would be a great place for a birthday cupcake!

      Thanks!! Seriously – yoga mats at the end of a race is my new favorite thing!!

  2. msposko says:

    Congratulations on your race! Would you recommend this race? A friend and I are looking for other women half marathons besides the Princess. Thanks.

    • Emily says:

      Thanks!! I would recommend it. There were definitely some organizational issues (not to mention a lack of port-o-potties along the course) but I’m hoping a lot of that will get ironed out since this was the inaugural race. I really enjoyed the race and the necklace is beautiful!

  3. kebe51 says:

    Congratulations! Looks like you got some amazing sites in on the run. I would love to do a DC race some day. And OMG that cupcake looks phenomenal!

    And as far as pizza, if you thought DC pizza was good enough to eat every night, wait till you have a real NY slice 🙂

    • Emily says:

      Thanks!! The cupcake was soo good!! It was so neat to see the different sites along the course!!

      Mmm, pizza. I could live on pizza. Next time I’m in NY I’ll have to get recommendations from you on a pizza place!!

  4. Karen :0) says:

    Way to go! Sounds like a great race…congratulations! Love your post-race meal, too! Yum! :0)

    • Emily says:

      Thanks!! It was such a fun race!! Oh yes – I run so I can eat pizza and cupcakes!! And drink chocolate milk too! 🙂

  5. Abby says:

    I’m so glad to hear it was a good race. Hope I can do it next year. Glad you enjoyed DC 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s