2014 Frostbite Series Half

Hello out there!!  January is normally a bad month for me, and while I don’t want to go on record for saying its the worst January ever, it’s probably pretty close.  I’m going with the if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all as I just really want to complain and complain.  I feel so out of touch with all my friends out in blogland.  So what’s going on with you?

There isn’t much new with me – work and snow.  I haven’t really kept up very well with any type of training.  A few sit ups here, a seven minute work out there and at least one long run a weekend (for the most part).  One night at work the bathroom was closed for cleaning and I walked downstairs to use the bathroom.  Not a lot of stairs (26 to be exact) but it was something other than sitting at my desk.  I’ve now started to go downstairs (or upstairs) to use the bathroom to squeeze in steps.

With Princess looming (and NYC not long after), I’ve started worrying about how on earth I’m going to finish and in a decent time.  Especially NYC with their strict time limit. Someone (cough, Abby, cough) might have to drag me to the finish line.

So to sum up, not a lot of training, not a lot of sleep, long hours at work, and let’s not even talk about what I’ve been eating.  Throw in my loose goal of 14 half marathons (and one half a month) and the fact that sometimes I don’t make the best decisions, and you have a recipe for the Frostbite Half.  I had it on my calendar as it was taking place in Forest Park and towards the end of January.

I hadn’t completely decided one way or another to do it going into Friday.  But Friday night I left work at a somewhat “normal” time and the weather forecast for Saturday morning looked promising.  Plus I needed to run.

I woke up to 41 degrees outside and the wind howling outside.  I dressed assuming the wind would be biting (which it was) and drove to the start line.  Can I just say how much I love the fact that it is less than a 10 minute drive to the start line?

There wasn’t a time limit per se, but there was an early start time for walkers.  Since I’m not officially a walker, I wasn’t sure if I could use the early start time.  And then I ended up taking the extra time to sleep.  (In hindsight, I probably should have taken the early start time).

As this is a neighborhood race, there wasn’t a large field.  My old familiar worries crept in.  Am I going to be last?

We started off and pretty soon I was in back of the pack.  I leapfrogged with a few people before settling into my rhythm.  I wasn’t last.  Yet.  Somewhere around mile 4, I ended up in last place.  Hello worst fear.  It’s always good to face your fears, right?

I continued plodding along, keeping the woman in front of me in sight and trying not to let her get too far ahead.

We haven’t yet talked about the weather.  Let’s do that, shall we?  The sun had come out and I was actually starting to think I was overdressed.  But then the wind started kicking up.  And then came mile 8.  I passed a few walkers (so maybe I wasn’t dead last).  And   A few drops of rain and more wind.  And then came mile 9.  Here’s where it really fun.  The rain turned into freezing rain/sleet, followed by snow, followed by hail.  Add in the driving wind and you ended up with a miserable Emily.  I really wanted to sit down on the curb and cry.  There was a lot of walking involved in this stretch.

Mile 11 came up and I dug deep for anything at all.  I was able to get back to 1 minute running / 2 minutes walking.  The volunteers had left the last water station (but there were cups left out).  Not depressing at all to pass by an empty water station.  But honestly with the insane weather, I really have to give a shout out to the fabulous volunteers!!

I could no longer see the woman in front of me that I had been chasing but I could see another person who just might be another racer.  Maybe I could catch him?

I tried upping to 1:30 running interval and sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.  With about a half mile left, I passed the walker who had been in front of me.  I crept closer and closer.  The finish line came into view and I tried to put on a finishing kick but there was not much left.  The finish line was slowly being taken apart but that didn’t stop me from crossing it!

My goal of under 3 hours sadly did not happen by 47 seconds.  Yup, I finished in 3 hours and 47 seconds.  And to add insult to injury, the food and water were all gone.

I’m not sure whether to feel encouraged by the 3 hours with little training, no sleep, and eating a lot of bad food combined with weather issues.  I mean if I can finish in just over three hours with those factors, surely I can finish in 3 hours in NYC.  Right?

Frostbite Half

Frostbite Half

This entry was posted in Race Report and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 2014 Frostbite Series Half

  1. Abby says:

    OMG! Your race sounds like mine on Sunday. . . and PS- YOU were my inspiration! I saw your post on IG and since you’re a ROCKSTAR for getting through that- it helped me get through mine.

    PS- NYC is strict, but I think you’ll be ok! We got this!

    • Emily says:

      We sooooo got this!!! I’m glad I was able to inspire you!! And get this – I had seen your post earlier in the week about your race and so then I knew I was going to have to do my race! So we inspired each other!!

  2. kebe51 says:

    You can totally do under 3 hours for NYC! (Just beware of the hills of doom in Central Park). Congrats on rocking this run! I know I couldn’t do it!

  3. That is rough!!!! You will be fine in NYC though. I know it! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s